Come to our 4th Annual Baird Festival on Saturday September 21st, 2013 on beautiful Bute.
Baird of Bute Festival 2012 Was a Huge Success
This Beautiful photo by Michael Russell MSP is one of many taken during an exceptional 3rd annual Baird of Bute Festival. More photos are available by clicking on Baird Festival 2012 above and at the sites for two exceptional Bute photographers
Please join the Baird of Bute Society ______________________________________________________ New Baird Book Launched For more info click on BAIRD BOOK tab above __________________________________________
______________________________________________________ New Baird Book Launched For more info click on BAIRD BOOK tab above __________________________________________
New Baird Book Launched
For more info click on BAIRD BOOK tab above
Portrait by Christopher Markwell 2010
"A valiant Scotsman with a creative mind. His hand was ever open and against no man ........ A man of mettle"
Andrew Baird was born in 1862 in Sandhead on Luce Bay in the Rhinns of Galloway, Scotland. One of three sons, his father was a fisherman and handloom weaver. He became an apprentice to a blacksmith in Sandhead, worked as a lighthouse keeper on Lismore, then as an ironworker at Smith and McLean's on the Clyde shipyards before finally setting up on his own as a blacksmith at 113 High Street in Rothesay, Isle of Bute, when he was 25.
In 1892 at the age of 30 Andrew married Euphemia Martin at Glecknabae Farm on Bute.
Baird was a daring thinker, a pioneer and innovator. He created many improvements to the plough, built an unique model of the triple expansion engine powered by electricity and was one of the original members of the Scottish Aeronautical Society.
Eager to expand his knowledge of aviation, he corresponded with the early aviators Louis Bleriot and S. F. Cody and exchanged information about construction of aircraft and their flight. Inspired by a visit to Blackpool for Aviation Week in October 1909, he returned to Rothesay inspired to design and build his own sophistocated monoplane similar to Bleriot's but with an engine built by the Alexander Brothers in Edinburgh that was 4-cylinder, air-cooled and with water-cooled valves. The control system he would design would be unlike anything that had been developed at the time. His wife sewed brown trussore silk for the wings.
Sharing the Dream
The Baird monoplane, once completed in his own shop in the summer of 1910, went on show at an exhibition in the Esplanade Flower Garden at the front of Bute. and then to the amazement and excitement of all it was moved to the Bute Highland Games on August 20th 1910.
From there it was taken for storage and readying directly to a barn owned by Willie Dickie at his farm at Cranlasgvourity, Bute.
The Historic Day
Scottish aviation history was about to be made when in the very early morning of September 17th, 1910, the Baird Monoplane was taken by a Mr Scott on his horse-drawn wagon to Ettrick Bay - with its wide expanse of sand remeniscent of the Kitty Hawk N.C. site chosen by the Wright Brothers for their historic flight.
In the sunshine and amid the wide golden sands of Ettrick Bay the first entirely Scottish designed plane sat ready to make history.
Andrew Baird was, on that day, assisted by his friend Ned Striven who was an Electrical Engineer with the Burgh of Rothesay and who had assisted him with the engine and related design considerations.
The Baird Monoplane
There on the beach she sat - described as having an exceptionally wide-tracked undercarriage, a canvas pilot's seat, a uniquely designed joystick/wheel for steering, and 71 inch propellor, as seen here being displayed by Andrew Baird II (son) and Andrew Baird III (grandson) in Rothesay during the Centenary Celebrations in September 2010.
It had a fixed tailwheel and a specially selected Scottish 24 hp Edinburgh built engine. The plane was 25 feet long and weighed 380 pounds. It was constructed of a complex tubular steel forward frame and triangular wire braced rear section made with bamboo longerons and tubular steel spacers. The rectangular wings covered in Mrs Baird"s sown silk had a 29 foot span and were placed at a slight angle for stabilty in flight.
The plane was ready. Andrew Baird was ready.
The Flight into HIstory
There on the wide expanse of Ettrick bay, Baird and Ned Striven started the engine. All was ready. Hearts raced with anticipation. A small crowd looked on in amazement. And the flight into history began.
Flight Magazine on Septemebr 24th, 1910, described it as follows:
"Mr Baird was seated in the machine and on the engine being started the plane travelled along the sands at good speed. Naturally, on clearing the ground, the swerving influence of the axle ceased and the influence of the steering wheel brought the machine sharply round to the right causing it to swoop to the ground. The contact was so sharp that the right wheel buckled and the right plane suffered some abrasion by scraping along the beach."
Andrew Blain Baird had realised his dream - he had flown in an aircraft of his own design and construction. His was the first entirely Scottish flight of a heavier than air craft.
Noted aircraft manufacturer Tommy Sopwith sailed into Rothesay Bay in 1910 for the Highland Games and there viewed the monoplane. Very impressed, he was given permission to incorporate Baird's innovations into the aircraft he was designing and which would have such a great impact on the course of WWI. Over the years, many others involved in aviation consulted Andrew Baird and learned from his pioneering experience and innovative mind.
After The Flight
Today there is little information regarding what became of the Baird Monoplane body. It is, however known that the Edinburgh made engine rested in Baird's workshop on the High Street until its demolition in the early 1950's to make way for council housing and was then on show at the Museum of Transport in Glasgow, having first been transported to the Glasgow Museum & Art Galleries. The original propellor, which is in excellent condition, was acquired for the private ownership of a Mr Hunter who was a bank manager in Bute. Upon his retirement, he returned to his home in Lanark where he displayed the propeller on a wall in his house for decades. On his death it was left to his family with the hope it wopuld be presented to the Museum of Flight in East Fortune.
Baird did not patent any of his innovations although they were later incorporated into many aircraft and ocean liners. Baird remained a blacksmith.
Andrew Blain Baird died on September 9, 1951, aged 91 years.
He had been predeceased by his wife, Euphemia, on January 19, 1938 and by their two daughters, Agnes in 1909 (aged 5) and Susan in 1909 (aged 1 year). They had a son, John Baird, who joined Andrew in his blacksmith business. Another son Andrew II and his grandson Andrew III and their family today live in Arbroath.
On the 4th of July 1952, the local newspaper, The Buteman, ran both an advertisement for his business and a tribute to the man. The ad simply read: "A. B. Baird & Son, General Blacksmiths and Horse-shoers, Implement Makers and Mechanical Engineers - and Ornamental Iron Workers" The tribute read:
"A valiant Scotsman with a creative mind.
His hand was ever open and against no man. A man of mettle".
Andrew Baird - aviation pioneer - son of Bute
See also the "Dates and Data" page for more detailed information about
Andrew Blain Baird and his historic achievements.
Website designed by Christopher Markwell - ©2010